I don't use a second shooter and I photograph weddings by myself
As you may have already read on the FAQ or my biography page, I do not use a second shooter. You may be wondering why I shoot by myself or you may be a bride asking the question "should I hire one or two photographers for my wedding?" To learn more, please read my detailed answer below.
Why do you not have a second shooter?It is great having another photographer capture your wedding or special event because "one photographer can't be in two places at once" or "another photographer can provide more diversity in perspectives". However, those statements don't hold ground, plus there are a lot of down sides to having two photographers:
Here are some known disadvantages to having a second shooter
- Larger investment (packages are more expensive).
- The focus is usually on quantity rather than on quality (no pun intended).
- A good photographer doesn't need to be in two places at once to capture the story of important and meaningful images at your event or wedding.
- You don't need two photographers to captures a variety of different perspectives (this can be done just fine with one).
- Another photographer can sometimes cause confusions with the client and guests.
- Artistic and style inconsistencies can occur between photographers.
- The lead photographer has to sacrifice some of their time at your event or wedding to manage and communicate with the second shooter.
- Receive more images (usually repetitive) that can be overwhelming for you to go through (clients usually don't want a ton of images).
- Liability with the trust of dependency with a second shooter to perform (sometimes they don't).
ConclusionI am an independent photographer that deeply focuses on getting the best images possible for you without the worry of a second shooter! If it is truly necessary to have assistants and/or a second shooter (e.g. an event that is very large in scale or a wedding with an unusual large amount guests), then it can be provided.
Gabriel Dupon Photography
Northern Colorado Portrait Photographer